Thursday, June 01, 2006

Day 14

We received our essay questions today to prepare for our exam next week.1 There are five questions. He will give us four, we will choose two.

I used my free time on Tuesday to get caught up on the reading so I was prepared for class. Unfortunately, the tangential nature of the class reared its ugly head and we spent a good deal of the class discuss the nature and role of the rebel in our modern society and the societies of Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales. This I had not prepared comments on. I still remain too anonymous for my own comfort. In the one class I am almost too conspicuous and this one I've never exchanged words with the professor.

We discussed the reversion from a literate culture to a culture of the image and our accented voice proposed a number of conspiracy theories, none of which I am at liberty to comment on.

After the break we continued to contrast the author of The Canterbury Tales with the narrator. I had considered the Wife of Bath to be a purely comical character, but now I can see where Chaucer seems to revere her. I admit to being a little sleepy as I read and not quite catching all the details of dress in the General Prologue. All in all, every day in this class I am reminded that my mind does not work in the same way as an English major's so I must continually be alert and on my guard.
Where should I see conspiracy and degradation? Where should I rise above my culture and where conform to it? I have only a year to answer these questions.

NOTE:
1- This will be a busy weekend with watching Orlando, writing the Orlando paper and preparing five essays. "This is not a drill, soldier."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home