Thursday, May 18, 2006

Day 5

I was late again. But I wasn't the only one. Luckily, starting Tuesday, class won't begin until 8:15.
I discovered a fatal mistake which I will soon need to rectify: I accidentally clicked 7th edition instead of 8th. I was uberconspicuous.
I had nothing to say as I hadn't started Beowulf.1 Although, I have to say now, it was much more interesting than when I read and discussed Beowulf in high school.
I am beginning to see why people like Dr...Professor2 Matheson so much. He really is nice, and smart. He puts his foot up to his knee like a stork and makes an interestingly high pitched grunt3 of excitement at crucial times during the lecture.
We took the full three hours, with a short intermission.
I'm beginning to break into the camaraderie, if only I can keep it up. I didn't talk to Darrell again because he sat way over on the other side of the room.
I figured out why he changed seats: I sat in the same area that he did before and the air conditioning cranked at full power blows right on your neck. No wonder he complained that it was too cold. Luckily, I made my discomfort obvious and the girls behind me turned it off.
English major girls have a very interesting way of whispering. I noticed it with the girls who turned off the AC for me and then again with the girl sitting next to me who felt it her bounded duty to discover who had carelessly let their phone fall to the ground. (She would also periodically wake up and tell us quietly how many more minutes were left in class. "40." "15.") They don't whisper so much as pointedly mouth things at you. It makes me uncomfortable even though I know they're trying to be nice.
I fell in love with my first English major. I couldn't help myself. When I told her she looked lovely, she returned the compliment (NOTE: not showering is OK, I guess.) and I told her where the bathroom was.

NOTES:
1- Perhaps I should refrain from staying up until 2:30 while I'm on duty.
2- Scott says they never call anyone "Dr." This is difficult for me, but I want to fit in.
3- This may be an oxymoron, but you try to describe it. It's weird. Endearing, but weird. Murmur? Hum? Squeak?

2 Comments:

Blogger english said...

may I add my praise for Mark Mathesson to the heap? it was also hard for me to call him "Mark" like everyone else.

I took that class from him in 2001. we were in the middle of Beowulf when the planes hit NYC & Virginia. days earlier we had talked about Heorot, about what might be considered Heorots of our culture, nation.(the pentagon & wtc were both mentioned, among others.) we'd discussed what our response/reaction as a nation might be...

a Beowulf movie comes out next year. with Crispin Glover as the monster!

24 May, 2006 15:34  
Blogger the anna said...

interesting.

interestingly, darrell enjoys bringing up that very comparison each day. "...have we truly adopted a 'turn the other cheek' Christian belief system in favor of the warrior culture where vengeance is rather moral than immoral?"

i was in mrs. c's english class at the time. (part of my training) interesting that crispin glover also played raskolnikov in crime and punishment. seeing as it's my job to uncover conspiracies, this doesn't surprise me.

24 May, 2006 16:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home