Friday, May 19, 2006

Day 6

We were supposed to come up with some kind of organizational tool based on our text. But I may have taken the "creative" portion of our creative assignment too seriously.
I made a mobile. I was wrong.
She said, "I think I'm just gonna look at it and let you take it with you." Everyone else stuck to lists and web diagrams. Maybe I'll write a Choose Your Own Adventure for Monday.1

Today was just lecture so I don't have many observations of students. But a class dynamic is beginning to evolve.
We sit in a large square circle of desks. P.J. sits at a bigger desk at the front. Today she offered to have someone take really good notes for the ADA and $50. Two people volunteered and others expressed willingness.2 She offered to let them "duke it out" in the middle of the "ring". Illinois latched on to this (it's a good thing he's funny) and would periodically refer to it. Like when his pen fell into the circle and no one dared to pick it up (in all fairness, the desks are pretty tight and it would be just as noisy, distracting and difficult for any one else to retrieve the pen as it would be for him) and P.J.3 ended up getting because he "didn't dare to break the circle".

I'm finding that this brainwashing class will be a useful tool for me. It really is a class on how to be an English major.

Quotes from today:
"'explication' That's a big word in our field."
"[you can talk about symbolism if you really want to, but you'll have to be more]...contingent and savvy in your language."

NOTES:
1- She did say we could turn them in on Monday if we weren't satisfied or wanted to make changes based on the lecture.
2- It was Ken the older English major who got the job. This could become crucial information.
3- I really struggle to call her "P.J." It's what she asked for, which makes it easier than "Professor Matheson", but it feels funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home