Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 3

I was late. But not too late.
Dr. Matheson. He's a big name. Many of my sources speak very highly of him.
I didn't get a good look around at the class. It's bigger. Some repeats from yesterday. More older people.
We talked about the history of the English language. It was difficult for me to stay in cover. I'm predisposed to like professors, especially those with such a good reputation, but it bothered me that he kept saying that the history of the English language is moving from complexity to simplicity. I'm sure it will serve some pedagogical purpose, I could tell he actually did know what he was talking about, and I know it doesn't matter to a study of literature that where one aspect simplifies, another gets more complex, but I still didn't like to think that all those students were thinking they understood the evolution of the English language after a 20 minute overview. I guess I'm living up to my own stereotype.
But I didn't say anything and we moved to the syllabus.
I may have made a friend. His name might be Darrell and we shared a frustration with the vending machine during the five minute break.
The 8-11 AM class ended before 9:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home